Sunday, December 12, 2010

Panettone Wars

It's been the 12 days of Panettone in the Lombardo-Todisco household. Panettone is like the Italian version of fruitcake only Italians seem to really like it. It tastes like paper to me and my mom. My dad eats it and doesn't complain, but that doesn't say much. Ciccio insists that we keep trying it though...practically shoving it down our throats.

Look at those loafs, they are huge. We are on our fourth Panettone. I'm so sick of it and yet my hubby keeps bringing home more.

The first loaf Ciccio bought at World Market to get him in the holiday spirit. I didn't want to deprive Ciccio of his culture, so I said, "great, that's fine".

Ciccio found another one at CVS that had chocolate chips in it, so he couldn't pass that one up either.

Then Carlo, his B.F.F., bought him one that Carlo insists is "the best one ever".  He buys at least 12 each holiday season.  I hope he doesn't force feed his wife too.

The problem is that all of the Italian boys don't agree on which brand of Panettone is the best, so now we have a Panettone from Giuseppe as well.

At this point, I'm becoming a Panettone connoisseur and I don't even like it. I actually do prefer one brand over the other, but I'm afraid of what the consequences could be if I announced my favorite. It could devastate friendships or even my own marriage. To make matters worst, Christmas in Italian culture lasts until January 6, so I fear this is just the beginning.

4 comments:

  1. I WONDER IF THEY HAVE A "PANNETONE" SONG IN ITALY, LIKE WE HAVE WITH "FRUITCAKE"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not going to like this but I love, love love good Panettone....it is light and not like fruitcake as all although I think the concept may be the same.
    Eat it warm and for breakfast with butter.
    I agree many of the brands here in America may be months old and taste terrible. When I have had a box sent directly from Italy it tastes really good.
    Lee Golde

    lee golde

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica, have you made french toast with it yet? Love you :) Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee- Ciccio told me you are right. Panettone is much better when it's fresh.
    Melody- I"m planning on Panettone french toast for Christmas breakfast. Hopefully that will jazz it up:)

    ReplyDelete